#oneword2022 - Forward

Image of legs stepping forward on an arrow painted on the asphalt

The arrival of 2022 has been anticipated as few new years before it. The COVID-19 pandemic continues to hang on and impact daily life in a myriad of ways from quarantines to required face-coverings. The resulting global supply chain issues have driven up prices and driven down the availability of products. A national staffing shortage has caused retail hours to be cut back and slowed services. Depression and anxiety plague the mental and emotional health of countless adults and children. All of these negatives have contributed to a near-universal longing to turn the page and move forward into a new year and new opportunities.

With the new year comes the opportunity to start anew, to begin again, and to take the first step into a new adventure.

As I shared last year in my 2021 #oneword post, "New Year’s Resolutions come and go with seeming ease. Statements that start with “this year I am going to…” typically fall by the wayside before the calendar turns to February. For myself, I don’t ever recall reflecting in late December on my progress on that year’s resolution. In fact, I probably would have struggled to recall my resolutions late in the calendar year. Some time back though, I came across the concept of #oneword on my Twitter timeline and I was hooked. Choosing one word or concept as a point of focus and reflection for the year seemed and has been powerful."

The #oneword I chose for 2021 was 'resilience,' something that was and is sorely needed with all of the many challenges we all face. 

This year, I have chosen 'FORWARD' for my #oneword. 

Too often, we seem to spend too much time honoring and memorializing the challenges and problems we have faced and are facing. Too much time seems to be spent on woefulness and on lengthy diatribes of just how hard it has been. I certainly do not want to be dismissive or take away from the fact we have faced great challenges. I do not want to diminish the losses of loved ones, particularly as my own Dad passed away in March of 2020. However, there comes a time when we must shake away the gloom and stride forward.

In education circles, we debate terms like 'learning loss' and how to measure all that students have missed out on. Time is spent on calibrating accountability measures to account for remote and hybrid learning.

It is my belief that we can no longer waste time immortalizing the impact of the pandemic on students' academic progress. We must move forward with all haste. Our children need all of our energy and efforts. They need all that we have to offer. Instead of making excuses for what the data reveal about the progress of students, we must devote that exertion towards making a difference.

Google defines 'forward' as "onward so as to make progress; toward a successful conclusion" and "into a position of prominence or notice" and "toward the future; ahead in time."

For 2022 and beyond, my energies, effort, enthusiasm, and exertions will be "onward so as to make progress." I will devote myself to ensuring that the needs of our students and staff are placed "into a position of prominence or notice." I will move forward and in doing so, will encourage all those around me to sustain in their work. Our children need us, right here in this moment. Together, we will continue to move forward.



Image courtesy of Shutterstock

Comments

Popular Posts