Go Rest High on That Mountain


Go rest high on that mountain
Son, your work on earth is done.
Go to heaven a-shoutin'
Love for the Father and the Son.
                              -Vince Gill

Last night my Dad slipped from this world into a place he has been telling me about my entire life. My Dad’s faith was as resolute as any that I have encountered. I do not recall a single conversation with Dad when he did not tell me about his church, a recent sermon, or our need to be in constant prayer. Dad was a man of great conviction. When old-fashioned values of faith, family, and living by biblical principles were questioned or derided, he passionately pushed back and refused to back down from his beliefs. My childhood is replete with memories of long conversations with Dad at the dining room table as he shared with me his political and spiritual beliefs. He loved talking about politics and the need for revival across our land. He was quick with a joke and had a ready laugh. He loved his wife and was rarely seen without her. My dad loved his parents and is today reunited with them.

Dad’s greatest gift to me was a childhood centered in the love of Christ. He ensured that every time the doors to the church were open that we were there. My dad has gone, but his witness, his example, and his unquestioned love for me remain in my life as a North Star reminding me that life is bigger than just this moment even as we try to fully live every moment. I love you, Daddy! 


Ronald Harold Jackson
September 15, 1947 ~ March 24, 2020

Comments

Popular Posts