A Salute to Our Veterans


"I, _____, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; and that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice. So help me God."

A young man or young woman stands at attention, raises their right hand, and recites an oath. The oath declares a willingness and commitment to both support and defend the Constitution, to bear true faith, and to obey orders. Having stood in that moment with my hand raised and sworn that oath, I remember well the feelings of pride that filled my chest. I also remember the tinge of fear - fear of the unknown, fear of losing my life, fear of being away from my parents, fear of Boot Camp.


My experience was not unique. I would imagine that most who have stood there have felt pride and fear. Still though, men and women stand there and give themselves in service to their country.


Their willingness to protect our freedoms is a gift we can never repay and must never cease to acknowledge and appreciate. 


To our veterans, thank you for inspiring us with your bravery and patriotism. Thank you for your service.


Comments

Popular Posts