Kindness as a Lifestyle Choice



As October is National Bullying Prevention Month and as several initiatives have been highlighted across social media, I have been really contemplating kindness. It seems like such a simple concept. Be kind.

Why not? It doesn’t cost anything. It is not hard. Still though, it seems to be conspicuously missing from our societal norms.

Our Middle School celebrated “Dude Be Nice” week. An elementary school in our district has every student and staff member reading “Wonder,” digging into the anti-bullying messages throughout the book, and considering a boy’s experience as a result of having a face shaped by multiple surgeries. Through our PBIS efforts in each school, we are encouraging students to be kind.

I appreciate, value, and support each of our efforts to combat bullying and encourage a positive environment. Still, though, it strikes me that we are doing our best to create happy, positive environments that may not be duplicated in many other places. Some, but not all, homes are filled with love. Some, but not all, workplaces in the community feel welcoming. Some, but not all, restaurants exude positive atmospheres. Some, but not all...

How do we change our world for the better? Can we?


I have to say, naive as it might be, that I absolutely believe we can change the world. I believe that we each have the power to make this change. We are not doomed to spiral into increasing negativity and ugliness. We can choose a different path.

Is it easy? Surprisingly, yes! Every single encounter we have during our normal day is an opportunity to spread kindness and positivity. Every. Single. One.

This past weekend I took a quick trip to Alabama to spend time with my sons as their schools, Auburn and Tennessee, met on the football field. My trip included drives, flights, a shuttle bus ride, restaurants, a hotel, a stadium, and a bowling alley. Over and over I encountered people in line, cashiers, waitresses, drivers, ticket agents, and people everywhere. Opportunities abounded in the smorgasbord of interactions that filled my weekend.

Before leaving, I had determined to smile broadly at everyone I encountered and to make the most out of every exchange. As I used the language my parents taught me (yes ma’am, no sir, thank you, and please), I marveled at how tired, bored, or melancholy service workers brightened at my pleasantries. I delighted as surprise turned into a moment of joy when I invited someone to move ahead of me in line.


It seemed that at each friendly exchange, their face and smile began to mirror my own. It became almost a game as I “scored smile after smile.”

Sure, the workers were supposed to be pleasant as part of their service to the customer, but the change in their mannerisms was too remarkable to dismiss. Perhaps they had grown accustomed to disrespect or disgruntled customers. Still though, none failed to return my smile.

To see a friendly smile literally grow in the moment is so awesome! Sound crazy or like an exaggeration? Try it.

"It is futile to judge a kind deed by its motives. Kindness can become its own motive. We are made kind by being kind." - Eric Hoffer

Regardless of the genesis of the encounter, why not purposefully try to increase someone else’s positive experience by being kind? Apparently being kind is so rare, that people have physical reactions to it and it shows in their smiles. Brain researchers would probably tell us that additional dopamine is being delivered to their brains causing them to react. 

Whether it is the chemistry of the brain or simply one person reflecting the actions another, for me I choose to keep collecting smiles by sharing smiles. I choose kindness as my lifestyle choice. Won't you?

Comments

Popular Posts