National Read a Book Day - What is on my desk?


Today is National Read a Book Day! According to NationalDayCalendar.com, there are over 1,500 national days, including National Coffee Ice Cream Day which also happens to be today.

Inspired by the blog post from the Getting Smart staff recommending eight great books on education and leadership, I thought I would share the books on my desk that I am currently reading and being inspired by.

There are currently two books, in addition to the Bible, on my desk. I have finished reading them both, but I like to spend a little time with good books after I have read them. I flip back to highlighted sections and the notes I make in the margin. When it comes to a great book, one read-through is never enough.

Monday Morning Leadership: 8 Mentoring Sessions You Can't Afford to Miss
David Cottrell

This book is an easy, quick-read. It is a first-person account of a struggling leader who happens upon the opportunity to meet weekly with a leadership guru. These weekly meetings boil-down into eight leadership lessons that are not only present in the context of the story, but also pulled out into a graphical image at the end of each Monday's lesson.

There are no silver bullets here. In fact, you might read the book and find nothing that you have not read or thought about before. For me, the value of the book is that it pulls out the Leadership 101 reminders that we all need to reflect on from time-to-time. I enjoyed this book and the conversations that our team has had after reading and reflecting on it.

This book was introduced to me by Ms. Tanya Turner who serves as the Assistant Superintendent for Curriculum and Instruction in the Edenton-Chowan School System. She brought it to me as her recommendation for our summer retreat book for our leadership team that includes our principals, assistant principals, and directors. Each member of the team read the book prior to our summer retreat. It was then used to launch several team activities to further drive home the lessons in the book. As it is not specifically geared for educators, though we got much from it, I would recommend it for anyone who works with others and wants to maximize performance.

Championship Habits: Soft Skills in Hard Times for Leaders and Managers
Adolph Brown, III

Earlier this summer I was sitting in the annual meeting for North Carolina School Superintendents. The previous sessions had all been engaging and worthwhile. I had no idea that the best was yet to come when a gentleman walked to the front of the room whose clothes and appearance looked more like they belonged in the shelter across the street than in front of a podium.

As he began speaking about the hardships he encountered in life, his appearance began to change as he peeled off layers. While I was being mesmerized and drawn in by his story, he was transforming from a person who lived on the street to Dr. Adolph Brown, a widely-respected college professor. His words hit home as he talked about overcoming challenges, not rushing to judgement, and never lowering standards. We received this book after he finished and it has not left my desk since.

Over and over, we hear from industry leaders that our graduates are lacking in soft skills. Dr. Brown presents twenty core soft skills that he believes are the foundation of successful businesses. I would add that they are the foundation of successful people as well. He chooses to use what might be called "walking-around" language instead of the formal language of university professors to ensure that the book is highly-readable and connects with the reader in a meaningful way. This book is also a quick read, but also one that I keep going back to as our school year is kicking off. Improving my own championship habits is important for my own development and for our school system. Ensuring that our students develop these championship habits is crucial for the future success of our country. I highly recommend this book to all who would improve themselves and their performance.

These two books have replaced other amazing books that have occupied my desk in the past and will be replaced in turn by new books as I continue my journey as a learner and as a leader. What are the books on your desk or your nightstand that you might recommend. Please comment below and share your favorites.


Comments

Popular Posts