Passion

The good folks at dictionary.com define passion as "any powerful or compelling emotion or feeling.They also list fervor and zeal as synonyms.

Passion, like any word, reduced to a mere definition, seems to lose some of the power it conveys when it is spoken aloud. If you heard me talk about passion, you would know that I believe that it is a "powerful or compelling emotion or feeling." You would also know that I passionately believe that educators must be passionate about their work. You would hear how passionately I feel about the importance of what happens in public schools every single day.
Elijah displaying the unbelievable passion that got him here

I started thinking about passion while watching my youngest son play basketball this year. He is a senior in high school and plays significant minutes on the Varsity team. Had you asked me in elementary or middle school if I thought that he would ever play high school basketball, let alone earn his first Varsity minutes during his sophomore year and a permanent spot on the team his junior year, I am ashamed to say that I may have laughed. He does not attend school in the district where I work, so he does not benefit from any unfair favoritism. He has had to earn his way just like each of his teammates. 

He has always loved sports and has been involved in competitive sports since he was three. He talked his mom and me into letting him play football, baseball, basketball, and throw the shot put in track. He also earned the nickname "Chubby E" as a youngster from his group of friends.

While he was in middle school, he decided to tryout for the school team. Being the loving dad, I tried to dissuade him from what I thought might be a heartbreaking experience for him. With his body type, I thought he might be better suited for football or baseball.

He would not be denied and convinced me to allow him to tryout. I was pleasantly surprised when he made the team. He kept on making the team year after year as he willed himself into becoming a true basketball player. Although he is not a starter, he is up early for shoot-around before school, working out all year long, and trying to be the hardest worker every time he steps on the court. He has truly earned the minutes he receives on the court.

I watch him as he dives after balls, "D's up" against bigger players, and ensures that all that he has is left on the court each time he plays. He is living his dream because he has worked so hard for it.

As I think about where the willpower comes from that drives him to do all that he does away from the court to be prepared for when he steps on the court, I recognize that it is his passion for the game and for being a part of the team.

"Chubby E" was the kid who did not look like he would ever be a Varsity athlete. Today, Elijah proudly uses that nickname as a part of his social media usernames. Although there is nothing chubby about his muscular frame, I suspect he keeps the moniker to remind him of all that his passion has allowed him to overcome as he turned passion into dream fulfillment.

Passion is the "compelling feeling" that drives Elijah to success.

Passion is the secret to all success. It fuels our efforts and pushes us forward in the endeavors we are passionate about.

I hope that those who work with me see that same passion that Elijah displays on a basketball court in me as I go about my daily work. As I seek to serve, I hope that I am using that same passion to be the best educator I can be. Our students deserve my very best. I can only give my best if I am passionate about what I do.

Update: March 1, 2017 Passion Unbridled

The same passion that led Elijah to earn a spot on his high school Varsity Basketball Team led him to become a member of the University of Tennessee's Lady Vols Practice Squad, a position he had to tryout for and one that brings him (and me) much pride. Passion keeps him going. May we all be as passionate about the work we do.

Comments

  1. How blessed your children are to have you as their dad! They share your passion, work ethic, faith, and perfection. From those of us that do have the opportunity to work with you daily, we do see the passion and the true meaning of service and leadership. Thanks for all you do for our students at Edenton- Chowan. Sending continued prayers for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts