I Miss My Kids! A Teacher Responds to Schools Being Closed



GUEST BLOGGER STACEY BAKER BANKS


I stopped for a second this morning and snapped this photo. 


It’s like a time warp for teachers. The moment our lives changed completely.


Boy, do I miss my kids.


I miss my classroom bubbling with excitement about learning.


I am losing the kids that need me the most. I worry if they are alone too much. If they are getting enough to eat.


I am frustrated that kids aren’t doing the work and more frustrated that parents aren’t encouraging it.


I miss the morning hugs and smiles from my “hard boys” that can only show me that in the briefest of moments outside my door.


Simply, this leaves me feeling empty.

We didn’t get closure.

I would’ve loved on them a little more if I’d known.


I miss my kids.

Stacey Baker Banks is a Fifth Grade Teacher at D.F. Walker Elementary School in Edenton, NC. She has been teaching for 23 years and said on a recent EdLeader Podcast episode, "Students just want a connection." You may hear more from Ms. Banks on Episode 15 of the EdLeader podcast here.

Comments

  1. Love this and y’all it really is her heart! Stacey is the real deal. She taught my son many years ago and truly does love them all. She penned so well what many of us are feeling, the overt loss. I have been jealous in recent years of my sister being able to work from home, no more. I can’t wait to go back, whatever it looks like. Not five minutes after the governor made his announcement, I had a Remind message with a teary emoji. My response: Me too sweetie, me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So powerful... "Me too sweetie, me too!"

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts